Thursday, June 2, 2011

Asylum Day 19: Part 2 - Game Day & Overtime

We won! It was tied at the end, but we kicked their ass in overtime!

Ok, maybe I'm getting a little too into it. Today was Game Day, and as hard as it is, this is one of the greatest workouts I've ever done. It's freakin' fun, and by far one of the hardest DVDs I've used in this whole ridiculous trek through fitness, or ever for that matter. And I'll be honest, when you can get past the cheese factor, being a part of Team Asylum and pushing through the other team really is just awesome.

A few highlights from the game.....

The mile run went fantastic! I started by pushing as hard as I could, and my knees were up and moving really fast in the beginning. The first hill went pretty great too, and I had awesome speed on the way down. The second hill was ok, not great but ok, and then the final run went outstanding....except I spaced that there was one more sprint at the end! I'd already sprinted in, but when Shaun said we still had to move because the team was right on our tails, I pushed and pushed and pushed and crossed the finish line!

The wrestling section felt a lot stronger today too. I only took two minor breaks, and the rest of the time I was pushing up, doing the leg cross and the arm raise every time, and I kept my form really strong. It was awesome. That's a really fun section, and you wouldn't think you could do a home wrestling workout alone with just body weight. Oh man, yes you can!

The other sports went pretty great too. I will say I had a little trouble on the swimming stuff, probably because I did shoulders and arms this morning. That's really where I felt it. My shoulder blades were dying and my arms overall felt heavy. Ya, I'm chalking that up to this morning's workout. However, I will say that I did ALL of the surfing section, which is WAY harder than the name would suggest.

There were more sports after that and even when I got tired I never stopped moving! Well, maybe a little, but definitely a lot less than last week. It was a great workout, and finally after an hour of jumping and running and throwing and swimming and sweating it was over....

....except it wasn't over! Today added in Overtime, the additional 13 minute workout that can optionally follow any workout but is specifically scheduled after today and next week's Game Day. I'm going to say that this workout is not nearly as fun as Game Day itself. It's just a really fast Insanity workout. Don't get me wrong, you're moving a lot, but it doesn't reflect any sports stuff at all. It's just drills. Still, my fitness base is finally strong enough where this thing wasn't terrible at all. Ya, I was tired, but my muscles had more to give and boy did they give! I will say that I don't think my knees are strong enough on some things yet, specifically the ones where you put one knee on the ground and then jump and tuck both knees in the air. Ya, that wasn't happening today. My options on that were go very slow and still risk injury, or as Tony Horton would suggest, modify! So I did more squat tuck jumps instead. My knee didn't make it to the ground, but my jumps were really solid so I'm still calling that a victory.

The pushups in this workout kicked my ass. I did them, all of them, and my chest feels like it's on fire right now. It's just brutal at that point. And then, once again, when you think it's all over, Shaun has us bust out some pullups. I did 2, rest, then 3 while they did 10, but believe me, that's awesome! Then I did all 25 pushups they randomly throw in at the end too. And then, because Shaun goes back to the bar, I decided to do 4 more pullups too! So tired, but so awesome that I can do that, especially after a long workout like that.

So there's my story. We won the game, but it was a tough rode. One more Game Day and Overtime coming up in a little less than a week, and I am definitely looking forward to getting even stronger on this one.

Vertical Plyo tomorrow. I pushed hard tonight, so let's see how I do in the morning. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment