Monday, January 4, 2016

Ok, 2016, let's do this.

Well, you can see a clear change in commitment from me over the last four years. Back in the day I was doing P90X, Insanity and other programs like it was no one's business. But since then, I've gotten busy. Life, work, life again, work again...it's a lot.

So, I'm starting this blog, again, but no promises. I'm going to do my best. That's all I can do. But I'd like to think, on this 4th day of the new year, that I can do it. Let's go for 8 weeks. And no daily blog posts - just frequent blog posts. Fingers crossed for me.

Alright, first update, and most important: I have a baby girl! She's amazing and I love her. With my amazing wife and amazing daughter, life is in a good place. Also I'm in a new position with a company that actually allows me some time to focus on myself (big change from past years), and with that in mind, I want to better myself. Physically and mentally. And yes, I'm doing this for me, but I'm also really doing this for my daughter. I want her to have healthy habits, good work habits, understand the importance of hard work, of committing to a goal, and especially the importance of being physically fit (something I was not during my youth, and still majorly struggle with now).

Now, limitations. Commitment wise, I can only give myself 30 minutes a day to working out. That's not bad, but it's not what I used to do. Fortunately, BeachBody has released several programs focused on 30 minute workouts. Which brings us to the current workout plan. Today I started Insanity Max:30. It's exactly what you'd think, Insanity, but only 30 minutes. However, me being me, I'm adding on two additional workouts per week, making it a 7-day/week program instead of a 5-day/week program. The two additional workouts are P90X3's upper body stuff (because I still like doing some lifting) and a Bas Rutten workout on Sundays (because any reader of this blog knows I love those workouts). I'll probably post the full schedule on here someday, but for the moment here goes:

Saturday, I did pushups and pullups. The pushups I was on my knees and the pullups involved the help of a bench, but I did it. My upper body felt good and still does today.

Sunday, I did Bas Rutten's kickboxing workout. Good times. I really like shadowboxing and Bas gives a great workout. I did all 10 rounds, but after round five my "bum bum bum bum" became "buuum buuum buuum buuum" (do the workout, you'll know what I mean). Hey, something to get better at, right?

Today, Monday, I did Cardio Challenge from Insanity Max 30. It was an Insanity workout. Not much to say about it, other than it was really really hard, just like all of them. I really enjoyed it though. It's go go go, you never do the same moves too many times, and I think I did ok for the first time. I've tried this workout a few times (I did some prep in December) but never really went all in like I did today. I was pretty gassed by the 15-minute mark, but I'll get there.

Up next is the diet. I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with this, mainly focus on portion control I think and cut out the sweets, but we'll see. The holidays were rough and my office has had a lot of baked goods in it. But I'll get moving on that this week, too. Baby steps.

Oh, I'm also going to keep a few other updates on life going in this blog. A few other things I'm working on, I'm trying to get some freelance marketing work going (a few good leads in the fryer), and I'm doing some cool volunteer marketing work around town as well. One of my projects is coming to fruition this week, which is pretty exciting.

I'm also reading more. My goal is two books per month. Right now I'm reading Raving Fans, a Ken Blanchard book. I really like his stuff. It's super short, and I'm halfway through. I'll give a review at the end, but overall I'm super impressed with his take on customer service and how it impacts bottom line.

Finally, I'm also trying to teach myself Spanish again. I'm using Duolingo, and so far I'm really enjoying the program. I'm not sure how to really post an update on progress on that, but I feel good about it. More updates to come.

Alright, good first post. See you when I see you Internet world!


No comments:

Post a Comment