Sunday, January 17, 2016

Checking in from the three-day weekend

I normally (normally as in the last two weeks) don't do weekend blog posts, but I'm on Sunday for a Monday-Three-Day-Weekend and waiting until Tuesday didn't sound good for accountability purposes. So, hello, from Sunday!

First, let's talk weight. Goal for Monday is 229.9. I weighed myself yesterday (Saturday) and was at 229.0. So, ya, overshot. That said, dinner/dessert (yup, I said dessert) last night wasn't the healthiest. We went out to dinner with the folks, and I had pasta figouli (spelling???!!?!), duck breast, butter nut squash ravioli, and a few bites of tiari masu (again, spelling), cannoli and chocolate cake. A few bites, but a few bites of each. Also a glass of red wine. This wasn't the worst meal I've ever had, but it definitely wasn't diet friendly. Saturdays are somewhat a cheat day, so this was totally acceptable, but it makes me question where I'll be on the scale today.

I have not weighed myself today, but I have worked out. Hard. The plan is to weigh myself after this blog post, base my daily diet from there, and make sure I'm at or under 229.9 tomorrow morning. That's a victory if it happens, and it will happen.

So, workouts. Yesterday was The Challenge from P90X3. All pushups and pullups, Pullups I'm still using the bench, but I feel stronger. No clue when I'm going to nix the bench, but it's going to be a while. Pushups, though, went excellent! I did 12 per set every time (8 sets I believe in this one, plus some bonus ones at the end), and, minus the staggered pushups (ya, those are tough) I did them all as real pushups. No knees. It was tough, but I'm getting a lot stronger really fast. Hoping to be up to 20 per set by the end of the full program (at which point I won't be doing The Challenge, I'll be doing Eccentric Upper, but same goal).

Then today, not knowing where I was on the scale but assuming I've ballooned up past the 300 mark thanks to the chocolate cake and cannoli, I did Bas Rutten's Thai Kickboxing workout and right now I feel like I'm going to die. I'm only doing the 2 minute rounds, but only is a relative term. This thing absolutely kicks my ass, and I love that it's cardio with arms. Insanity kills my legs, and being able to mostly throw punches (there's knees and kicks in this too, but I'm not jumping all over the place) feels good. Today I absolutely killed it, at least in the first four rounds. I remember feeling really really good in the beginning and blasted my body with it. The final six rounds I was dying thanks to that starting burst of energy, but I pushed and pushed and pushed and felt like I made this workout my bitch by the end (which is funny since the workout probably felt the same about me by the end too).

This is the last time I'm doing this workout in the current program. Next week is the Bas Rutten workout workout, and after that I swap kickboxing with MMA. I'm sort of looking forward to that. Same thing as what I'm doing, except there's burpees mixed in too. Like, a lot of burpees. Like, a lot a lot of burpees. So, ya, that's happening.

I'm still thinking a lot about the next round of workouts too. I know Eccentric Upper will be in there once per week, unless I can find a better 30-minute total upper body workout. Also, the Bas Rutten workout workout will be in there once per week too, rather than every other week. This will accomplish my goal of more weights without sacrificing much in the way of cardio. I also want to do the Bas Rutten MMA workout every week, assuming I can get through it strong in the second half of my current program. That'll be decided later. That'll leave four workouts for pure cardio, which will all probably be devoted to Insanity. Again, still deciding.

Also I want that program to be six weeks. Not sure where I'm getting six weeks from, but it sounds good. I've gotta find a way to split those six weeks into three and three, and I have some ideas, but plenty of time to figure it all out.

Spanish is going well. Practiced it this morning and I think I'm progressing. I think the full program will take me well into the summer, but that's fine. No rush at all.

Family's doing well also. Baby girl watched me workout yesterday and today and I like being an inspiration for fitness to her, even if she has absolutely no clue what's going on. Little bum fell asleep during this morning's workout!!!

Wife is also getting in on the working out kick. She's been going for long walks during the day with the baby (we might do one as a family tonight) and she's even started Zumba. I'm super proud of her.

Well, that's my current gig. Still feel like I'm going to die thanks to Bas Ruteen's evil today, but I'm going to venture into the world shortly to run some errands with the family. Talk at you soon Internet land!

No comments:

Post a Comment