Monday, August 1, 2011

Starting to hit some walls

Friday we did Starting Strength and I think I'm starting to hit a few walls. I squated 165, and even though I did them all and everyone said I looked fine, I felt like I wasn't able to go low enough. 165 felt like a lot, like way a lot, and 175 sounds a little unrealistic now. I'm debating doing 170 and switching to +5's starting tonight, but let's see how I'm feeling tonight. I may still give it a go. Either way, though, some time soon I'll need to switch to +5's on squats very soon.

As for +5 on my bench, I benched 180 on Friday. Well, sort of. I did not get all 15 of my reps in. I don't have the tracking sheet on me right now, but I think I did one set of 5, one of 4 and one of 3. My muscles just couldn't do any more. On Wednesday, when I get back in to this, I need to try 180 again, but I think now I'll be able to do it!

As for pullups, they felt stronger and better than ever, but with my tired arms and chest from bench I was only able to do one or two more than the previous Friday. Still good, but not great.

So like I said, I feel like I'm starting to hit a wall. With P90X I'd be on a recovery week this week, but this is not P90X. I keep going on this one until I can't go any further. So that's probably why my muscles are feeling weaker. Weaker is a relative term though. Everything looks bigger already, and definitely stronger. And I've added so much weight in the last few weeks, and generally speaking my muscles have kept up. So I'm still proud of my progress.

I am still thinking about adding in biceps on Wednesdays starting next week. I need to add a curl bar into my arsenal, but biceps are not getting bigger and I want bigger biceps. They're getting stronger and harder, but because there's nothing directly for them I feel like they're being forgotten. If the group agrees with me, next Wednesdays bicep curls will be added, and every week I'll start adding in 5 lbs.

So that was Friday. Saturday I did absolutely nothing but watched TV and movies. I watched 2 hours of cartoons, saw Harry Potter, played some craps, watched Captain America (which is freakin' sweet!) and then went home, watched the Incredible Hulk (I have a thing for super hero movies) and then watched the Strikeforce fights. Overall it was an awesome day, and I seriously needed the break.

Yesterday (Sunday) I had to get back into cardio, so I started with some yoga. I did MC2 Yoga, and felt pretty good by the end. My body was exhausted, and not doing cardio for a week really showed through. After that I actually hooked up my iphone to a speaker and did 10 minutes of guided meditation, and I felt outstanding after that. It felt good to relax and let my body just enjoy being tired.

So tonight I get back in to Starting Strength with Week 4! I'll let you know what I end up adding to my lifts. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment