Thursday, August 4, 2011

Still lifting heavy stuff

Another night of Starting Strength was last night. We started with the now usual jog through the park. There were a lot of people there last night playing basketball or playing with their dogs. It was pretty cool seeing people actually using the park. Usually it's way too hot to be out there, but around 7 it's not so bad.

After the warmup jog we walked back to the house and hit the weights. I did 185 on the squats, and I felt really good about them. I still need to go a lot lower and should probably be using a little less weight to correct the form, but my friends are dicks and I need to keep up with them for fear of being called a pussy. Fortunately I did go lower than on Monday and felt better about my form. I'll just keep working on the form and will keep getting stronger. I want to keep this weight increase up for as long as I can, so it'll be a while before I have to stall out on this and then can work form and get really low.

After that was bench press. I repeated 180 from Friday, and I almost completed it. I did two sets of 5 and 1 set of 3, and then I couldn't do anymore. That's still better than Friday and I expect to finally conquer 180 on Monday, but man, I was so close! I'd say screw it and just up it to 185 now, but I have a feeling I'll be stuck there for a few days too.

We finished with deadlifts, and I decided to hang with the other guys and do 205. That's +20 from last week, and I really felt it. My form crapped out by the fourth one, and but the first few were great. Wish me luck on 215 next week! Crap, that means I need to buy more weight plates.

The usual 15 minutes of abs was last, and by the end I felt incredible and incredibly tired. My body is slowly getting bigger and stronger and I love the progress I'm making. I hope I keep the muslce increases for the entire program, because with the gains I've had in just the last 4 weeks I can't wait to see where I'll be by the end of the year!

So that's it. Two quick things I noticed last night....

1) I have added 100 lbs to my squat since starting. 100! That's freakin' incredible!
2) My 1,000 club (squat + bench + dead = 1,000) is getting closer. I'm at 570 total now. When I started I was at 415. That's an incredible increase. I'm a ways away from 1,000, but progress is being made!

That's all I've got. Time for work, and tonight is cardio. I'm thinking plyo, but my legs may not agree with me. I'll keep you posted.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment