Friday, August 19, 2011

Bas Rutten last night

Yesterday I was very good nutrition wise. I brought cherries, raspberries and pluots to work. Unfortunately, I could not stay full, and by the time I got home I was starving! I had very little energy. I ate some meat, drank some water, sat for a few minutes, and finally hit play on two different workouts.

I started with the warmup and stretch from Core Cardio & Balance from Insanity. That went pretty well. After that I switched to the Bas Rutten Workout, and this thing kicked my ass. I pushed as hard as I could, but about 20 minutes into it I was drained. It got to the point where I would throw the punch combination, and then just stood there waiting for the next rather than moving. I decided the 20 minutes plus 10 minutes of stretch I'd done was good enough, and turned off the CD. So not a great workout, but not bad either.

After that we had sushi, and I had the healthiest sushi night of my life. Nothing fried. No cream cheese. No eel sauce. No rolls even! All I got was nigiri (fish and rice) and definitely took advantage of my all you can eat plan. My dinner consisted of many types of raw fish, shrimp and crab, lots of rice, miso soup and edemame. I got an order of spicy chicken at the end too, but it was little. Very good sushi night. I'm going to stick to this plan with sushi from now on. Much healthier, and for $25 I ate $55 worth of food! You can't beat that!

This morning I had another juice, and this time we pulled out all of the stops! Here's the recipe:
2 green apples
1 cucumber
1 carrot
1/2 a beet
a piece of ginger
a bunch of stalks of two types of broccoli (broccolini and something called rotini I think)
1/2 lemon

The lemon was in there because it's supposed to sweeten the beet. That may have been too much lemon though. That's the thing I tasted the most. But strong lemon flavor aside, this was not a bad juice at all. I'd go a quarter lemon next time, but I will definitely use all of these vegetables again.

Today's a potluck at the office and I have queso dip cooking as I write this. Not a very healthy day, so I'm planning on having another juice tonight after the workout, before dinner. Also dinner is homemade gyro night, and I'm excited for that.

Also a big shout out to my girlfriend Heather! She's gotten up at the ass crack of dawn every morning with me this week to help me make my juice. By help I mean she's telling me which vegetables I should be using, how much, then she's skinning the ones that need to be skinned and actually making the juice. Mostly I'm there for support and to actually drink the juice. She is amazing and I can't express how much I appreciate her help as I embark on this journey.

Speaking of juice, I was planning on making this a Monday through Friday thing until I do the juice fast, but I'm going to stick with it through the weekends. I'm supposed to have half of my food during the day coming from raw fruits and veggies, and weekends need to follow that same ratio. I'm not noticing any weight loss yet, but I know it's coming. It's been a very healthy week.

The only problem I'm running into is the lack of protein. I have protein with dinner, but that's about it, and I think my muscles are getting smaller. My girlfriend says otherwise, but I may pick up some spirulina. It's a plant based protein, and I can eat it throughout the day in water. I need more protein. I like losing weight and eating healthy, but my goal is to get big muscles and I can't lose sight of that.

So that's what I have going on. Starting Strength Week 6 wraps up tonight and I'm excited. Shoulder Press 135 lbs tonight! Wish me luck!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment