Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Week 6 Begins and More Juice

So we got into Starting Strength last night, and for the first time in a few weeks I feel like I have a handle on this program again. I increased the weight of the squat by +5 to 200 lbs. I kept good form and went even lower than on Friday. I still have room for improvement, but yesterday was good and I'm happy with that. The +5 wasn't enough that I really noticed the change, so I think from this point forward I'm doing +5 on squats. That's 15 lbs per week (instead of the 30 I was doing) so that's still some pretty good weight increases. Back to 205 on Wednesday, and hopefully this time my form will be decent!

As for shoulder press, I finally conquered 130! I started two weeks ago with 2x5 and 1x3, then last Wednesday I did 2x5 and 1x4, and finally last night I did 3x5. The last one was really hard for some reason, noticeably harder than the other 14 reps before it, but I pumped it out. Overall, though, the weight didn't feel nearly as heavy as it has for the last few weeks. Shoulder press is one of my favorite and least favorite exercises. I hate that if I screw up, I'm probably going to knock myself out, and I hate that if I adjust the wrong way even a little my spine cringes! But when it's over my shoulders feel amazing and I feel like a freakin' beast! It's awesome holding that much weight directly over your head!

Between those two exercises I did chinups. I'm supposed to do them after the weights, but to save time we rotated the chinups in. I did 1x9, 1x8 and 1x7. That's two more than last week, and freakin' 9 was ridiculous! I did 9 chinups at one time! Oh man, I am still blown away by that. In just a few more weeks (like 2 months actually) I'll have 3x15 completed and I can start adding weights. Pullups are another story, but that's ok.

We finished with the usual abs, which actually turned into a pretty brutal ab workout, and then called it good. It was a good workout day overall.

Diet yesterday consisted of my juice in the morning, 2 bananas, 2 pluots, 8 strawberries, a protein shake for lunch and a few handfuls of unsalted peanuts. For dinner I had lima beans, turkey loin and a little bit of mashed potatoes with some soy milk. I'm pretty proud of that day.

Today's shaping up to be similar. I have fruits and edemame for snacks. Dinner will be interesting since we're going to a Mediterranean Lounge, and the food is very delicious there. I might cheat, but I'll try my best to eat well.

As for breakfast today, my juice consisted of....
2 green apples
1 carrot
1 cucumber
4 stalks of kale
1 little piece of ginger

It was a very good shake and I feel great now.

Tonight is dinner out with friends, so I'm going to skip my cardio workout tonight and get up early tomorrow to do it. I'll let you know how that all goes.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment