Thursday, August 11, 2011

Yesterday was a freakin' failure!

Dammit! That's what I have to say about yesterday's workouts.

First off Tuesday night my legs were still hurting, so my girlfriend and I decided to do Relief from Asylum instead of a cardio workout. Stretching felt good, but didn't cure my legs from hurting and I didn't really burn any calories.

I woke up yesterday morning and decided to do the All Around Fighting Workout from Rushfit. Unfortunately my legs were still hurting, so I was moving slow and my kicks were crap. I couldn't even finish the 5th round, and just skipped it and went into stretch. I got my heartrate up a little, but as far as workouts go I'd give this one a C+.

Last night I came home and we got into Starting Strength. My legs were STILL hurting so I just walked around the park to warmup. Running just wasn't going to happen.

I decided I still need to go lower on my squats, and actually reduced my weight to 195 (I should have been at 215). I went lower, and by lower I mean maybe half an inch lower than Monday, but that's just crap! I dropped 10 lbs from what I have done and 20 lbs from what I should have been at, and my form was still garbage. I realize the legs were getting in the way, and maybe after a weekend of relaxing I'll be able to squat well, but I was pretty pissed with how squats went yesterday. It really feels like a flexibility issue. I can't even squat low enough without the bar. This sucks.

Shoulder press came next, and I made progress on 130. Last Friday I did 2x5 and 1x3, and last night I did 2x5 and 1x4. That last rep was pretty hard and I bent my back a lot further back than I should have, but I'm glad I pumped that out. Hopefully I can clear 130 on Monday, but I don't want to sacrifice form. Hmm....

As for Deadlift, I might as well just quit weight lifting altogether. I should have been at 215. I could not lift 215. Not without using my back at least, which is a big no no on this lift. It's again because my legs were hurting (and hurting more from the squats I'd done a few minutes before), but I could not use my legs to lift this weight at all. I ended up dropping to 185, and it felt heavy. Very heavy. I cleared 185 weeks ago, but last night I struggled. And my form was still garbage.

So ya, I'm pretty pissed off at myself. Form is the most important thing, and my form is absolute shit. I concede that my legs hurt, a lot, and that's getting in the way, but this is Week 5 already. I've gotta get with the program.

The plan is to do some cardio tonight, either Core Cardio and Balance from Insanity or the Bas Rutten all around workout. Haven't decided yet. Then tomorrow I'm going to squat 195 again and work really hard on form. I'm going to do bench press at 185, but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I had shitty form on Monday with 180 and if I should repeat that too.

Man, I hate feeling this way, but there's no reason to move the weight up if I can't keep the form correct. Dammit, I was feeling good about my lifting too. I hate being weak!

K, I'm done ranting. I'll try to keep the next blog post positive, but right now I am pissed at myself for being a weakling and I deserve the bashing. I'll keep you posted how tonight and tomorrow goes.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment