Thursday, August 25, 2011

My failed attempt at deadlifts

Another day of Starting Strength is in the books. The gang decided to play basketball for the warmup, but I'm not a very big basketball player. I also hadn't finished my preworkout drink when they went to the park, so I stayed behind at the house. I waited fifteen minutes, and then went into the gym to do a warmup. I got through four rounds of Bas Rutten's Kickboxing workout. I actually felt pretty good and could have probably kept going, but the group came back and I felt like I'd gotten a good warmup.

Squats went pretty well. I can always go a lot deeper, but the squats weren't terrible and I successfully completed 220. I'm going to do 225 on Friday, and I think next week I'll stay at 225 all week and work on depth.

I finally got started on 135 on shoulder press. That actually went very well. It wasn't nearly as heavy as I thought it would be. The first set I rocked out pretty well. Sets two and three I only got 4 reps done, and on each rep 5 just stopped completely. Still, that's a lot better than I thought I'd do. I have no doubt that I'll be able to pass 135 by the end of next week.

After that we got into deadlifts. I am absolutely mortified with my performance on deads. I tried 185 again, and I could not lift it. I tried twice, and each time the group said all I did was use my back. I dropped down to 135 and struggled out 5 reps. 135. Fucking unreal. I am terrible at this lift. My body does not bend properly, and I struggle so much on the simplest weights. I felt like a fucking lazy sack of shit and I am sick and tired of being so fucking weak. I can't believe how terrible I did yesterday and am the point where shooting myself seems like a better solution, because trying to deadlift poorly is definitely not working. I really don't know what I'm going to do on this lift.

We opted not to do bicep curls last night. We actually had it on the schedule, but it was getting really late and we realized that even though deadlifts are only one set (so perceivabley shorter), because it's another bar exercise it actually takes us longer on Wednesdays than any other day. I think we're going to try to make them a Friday thing. I'll let you know what we decide.

That's about it. No abs....again, it was getting late, and I was really pissed off about deadlifts and my kitchen flooding (long, unrelated story). We finished, I ate dinner and went to bed feeling defeated.

Man, I want to be strong and I feel like I am not getting stronger at all. This is fucking lame.

Ok, I've said enough negatives in this blog post. My stomach feels like garbage today, so I'm going to try to stick it out at work. No cardio tonight. I need a break.

That's all I've got to say.

Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment