Monday, August 8, 2011

Life's been getting in the way

Alright, I have not missed a Starting Strength workout yet, and I don't plan on it. But my cardio...man, life can really get in the way.

(incoming funny story!)
Thursday my roommate was going to jiu jitsu practice at 7 and I was planning on working out after work. Thanks to careful coordination (a combination of Facebook and text messaging) he and I ordered Thai food and had it scheduled to be delivered at 8:30. The plan was we'd both get done with our workouts, I'd be home to get the food, and then there'd be plenty of fresh delicious food waiting for us. That was the plan. Unfortunately the food showed up at 5:15, 15 minutes before I even get out of my office. I came home and instantly got on the phone. After some hostile negotiating (I can be loud when I'm angry) I got the Thai place to deliver our order at 8:30 like they were supposed to. Unfortunately at this point I looked over and my roommate had already started eating, giving up on jiu jitsu for the night. I went into the gym, worked out for about ten minutes with plyo from Rushfit, and then decided I was too angry still and went back in to eat.

So I did not work on out Thursday. Then, as expected, the Thai food did show up at 8:30. No one told us, though, that they wanted the original food back! Crap, we'd already eaten most of it. We boxed up everything that was left and sent the guy on his way, and now we had a fresh order of Thai food. I wasn't hungry, but I did eat a little more. So as far as working out goes, Thursday was kind of a wash.

Friday we did Starting Strength. I seriously need to go lower in my squats. It's not even a weight thing, it's a flexibility issue. I downloaded some stretching exercises to get my squat lower, and I'm debating using a chair tonight to check my form. I'll let you know how that goes. But aside from not squatting low enough, it was a good workout. I got 195 on the squats, and almost did 130 on shoulders. Shoulders were weird. I did two sets of 5 no problem, but on rep 4 of set 3 my arms just stopped working. I even took a break, but after that I could not bust out the last two.

It's weird that things don't start to get harder. I was going fine, and then out of nowhere my arms just stopped working. You'd think it would slow down a little, but this was much more like a light switch. Weird. But I'll make the shoulders up on Wednesday and I'll be right back into the swing of things.

As far as pullups went, I was stoked with my progress. I did two sets of 6 and one set of 5. A year ago I could not do 1 pullup, and I am so proud of my progress! I can't wait to get to 3 sets of 15!

That was Friday. Somewhere between my ten minutes of plyo on Thursday and squatting on Friday I screwed up my right leg pretty bad. I couldn't go up stairs all weekend, it was very painful. Unfortunately I decided to be a good boyfriend and took my girlfriend to see model homes (she digs that) on Saturday. Officially it was her idea, but after a brief yelling fit I realized it was the right thing to do. We looked at 3 story homes, and man oh man I thought I was going to die! Literally tears were coming down my face from the pain. Fortunately after 6 or 7 houses she saw that I was in pain and pretty frustrated and we decided to run some errands instead. The leg hurt throughout the whole weekend, but as of today it's feeling almost 100%. Still some muscle soreness, but I think I'll be able to squat tonight.

Sunday my leg was feeling better, but for some reason I had no energy. I've been running on caffeine pretty heavy the last few days, and no matter how much caffeine I drank it just wasn't happening. I kept falling asleep on the couch and wouldn't wake up for anything. I decided to throw yoga out for this week and did not work out on Sunday. I feel bad (fat) about that, and need to get my cardio back up.

So that was the last few days. Tonight is Starting Strength again. I've gotta get deeper on my squats, but my friends are dicks and will give me shit if I go down on my weight. Wish me luck squatting at 205! I'm going to try the chair trick out tonight. And I plan to finish up my bench from the other day. I can't remember what weight I'm at (this is why I write everything down!), but I plan to dominate it tonight!

I'll let you know how things go. Man, I'm starting to miss being on a program, for no other reason than I am seriously slacking on cardio. Two rounds of P90X, 1 round of Insanity and 1 round of Asylum....you'd think I'd know how to keep on schedule, but apparently not. I've gotta figure this out.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment