Thursday, August 18, 2011

Titles are hard to think of

Ya, I'm running out of title ideas. Yesterday I lifted heavy stuff and this morning I juiced. That's the update....I'm not sure how to keep reiterating that in title form.

We got into Starting Strength last night around 7:15. A few of us (myself included) had to be somewhere after working out, so we skipped the usual warmup in the park and went straight into the gym. There was a quick stretch, and then squats. My form has gotten so much better since I worked on it last week and switched to +5. I did 205 last night, and it was immensely better than the last time I tried this weight. I still have room for improvement, but I'd actually call what I did last night a squat, which is not something I could say about my sets two weeks ago.

We went to bench press next. I did 3 sets of 3 at 185. It felt really heavier. Heavier than Friday, and I actually did less reps than Friday too. I'm going to give myself all of next week to complete this, but if I don't see any improvement at all I'm going to go back down to 180 the following week and make sure I own that. I'm realizing that just because I complete a weight does not mean I owned that weight. I struggled through 180 the day I finished it, and even though I finished it still felt like a lot of weight. So with that in mind, I think I moved up to 185 too fast. I'm here now, though, so let's give it some time before I commit to this being too much weight.

As for deadlifts, I am still terrible at these. For some reason my legs don't want to lift the weight, and I end up using all back; that's a big no no. I did 205, which was +20 from what I did last week (when I deloaded). They were very bad deadlifts with the exception of the last 2. I thought I could do this much easily since I'd already squated it, but apparently not. I'm going to repeat 205 next week. Hopefully it will get better. If not, I'm dropping back down to 195.

Since we all had to be somewhere after, we did a very fast ab exercise (just the one) and called it good.

Nutrition yesterday consisted of my morning juice, a lot of fruits throughout the day and some edemame, and for dinner I had corned beef with lima beans. I'm getting healthier!

Today's shaping up about the same, though I have plans to eat sushi after the gym tonight. The juice this morning looked like this:

2 Green Apples
1 Cucumber
3 handfuls of spinach
4 stalks of kale
1 handful of parsley
1 piece of ginger
2 cloves of garlic

I'm just going to say right now, the garlic is not going into the juices anymore. It was noticeable to me, and I like garlic a lot! And I've been burping all morning. Too much garlic. In general though, I don't think garlic should be juiced. Other than that the juice tasted about the same as the rest of the week. That 2 apples 1 cucumber thing really helps a lot!

So that's the update. Tonight I'm thinking Bas Rutten's workout, but I have other cardio routines and might mix it up. I'd like to do Pure Cardio from Insanity, but the Insanity workouts have felt hard lately and that one may be too much.

I'll let you know what I decide.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment