Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lifting heavy stuff

We got further in Starting Strength last night and it felt pretty good. I squated 155 lbs, and for the first time I'm thinking that I may have to switch the 5 lb additions pretty soon. 155 felt like a lot, and my legs are feeling it today. I'm going to try 165 tomorrow, but we'll see where I'm at next week.

I shoulder pressed 120, which was my first official +5 addition. 120 was a lot of weight, but it didn't feel impossible and I got all 15 reps ( 3 sets of 5) completed. I'm very curious how I do on 125 on Monday.

Finally I deadlifted 185, and this one actually felt great! The guys said my form was solid, which is huge on this lift, and I felt really great about my progress on this. 195 next week! I'm ready!

One thing I've really been noticing is that the sets get easier as I do them. The 155 squats were so hard on the first set, but by set 3 they felt a lot easier. Same exact thing on the shoulder press, and the bench press on Monday. As hard as things are, I feel like my muscles just need a moment to get used to the weight. Keeping the mentality that it gets easier as I move forward really has been helping me get things done on these lifts.

Also a few quick notes. We started the workout by going to the park behind my house and doing a jog. I hate jogging, and halfway through decided to say "screw it". I brought the agility ladder and ran some drills in the grass. That was fun, but either the squats or the running has destroyed my legs today. Not workout sore - actually sore. I think I twisted something wrong.

With that in mind, note 2 is that I'm thinking about taking tonight off. It would just be one random cardio workout since I haven't done my usual cardio all week, and frankly I think I need a break. It's been a very taxing (emotionally and physically) three weeks and I am beat. So I'm thinking tonight I'll take off, tomorrow I'll lift, Saturday I'll take off, and I'll be back into my usual 3 days of cardio on Sunday. Then again, I might be feeling feisty tonight and if I do I'll just do a quick workout. But ya, that's the current plan.

Also one more quick thing, our friend Jacqi decided to join us for lifting last night. She did the bar for most of the lifts, but she did great! If she sticks with this I bet she'll be catching up to us in no time.

That's all I've got. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment