Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Recovering from cake

Ok, my titles are starting to dwell on the bad. Next title, positive, I promise.

So I set out to eat healthy over the weekend. And while "failing miserably" isn't what I'd call it, I had a few more cheats than I wanted. The Mrs. and I had a date day (thanks Mom and Dad for babysitting!) and we had popcorn at the movies. And then we ate sushi. Now, this wasn't nearly the sushi debacle I found myself in the week before, but it was sushi. Then there was a slice of pizza at Mom and Dad's. Then Sunday....I kept Sunday super clean because we were having people over. And I really ate healthy even at dinner. And then the Snickers cake came out. Now, I say cheat meals should be allowed and you can and should be able to eat whatever you want, and I mean that. So I ate a slice. A whole, good sized, delicious slice. And it was delicious.

Monday's goal was 203.5. Despite working really hard in the gym and trying to balance my diet, I only clocked in at 203.8. Sigh. At least it didn't go up.

So, let's talk workouts. Saturday was Les Mills Combat Upper Body Blowout. I still like this workout. It's different from the usual upper body weight stuff I do, and it feels much more functional for martial arts (makes sense, considering the program). I have this written in a few times throughout my next program, and I'm looking forward to it. It's not a good building workout and won't be around forever, but as long as I focus on functional fitness right now this is a good one.

I followed that up with Max:30 Max Out 15. Another good round. This isn't my favorite Max:30 workout, but in 15 minutes it definitely gets the job done.

Sunday was TurboFire HIIT 20 and Insanity Fast & Furious. K, I may have overdone it here with the loading of programs. But screw it, I did it. HIIT 20 was great. It's definitely not a guy's workout, this has ladies-dancing-to-hip-hop written all over it, but man oh man does Chalene do HIIT right! Then F&F was good. I'd never done this program before. Like my problem with regular Insanity now, the stretch just feels SUPER long. But aside from that, this is basically a Max:30 workout. Go go go go go go. It's so fast and down to the point that at a few points, literally no one is working out. Even Shaun T is huffing and puffing saying "keep jumping, seriously, we need at least one person to keep going." So, that was awesome. I'm trying to figure out if there's room to revisit this one in a future program because I really did dig it.

I also joined my wife in 21 Day Fix Upper Body on Sunday. I knew there was bad food coming, so I wanted to add in the extra workout.

Monday was Bas Rutten's Kickboxing 3 Minutes. Holy crap do I love this workout. I can do the whole thing too, which is crazy. I could never do the whole 3 minute rounds version before. I got tired and slowed down in Round 7, the final round, but I was stronger here than I'd ever felt. Next week is back to MMA, the 3 minute rounds, so I'm hoping this work translates well.

Finally today was HIIT 30 from TurboFire. 30 minutes of HIIT (actually 25, plus a long stretch at the end). Like I said above, there's no doubt I'm not the intended audience for this workout, but damn is it a good workout. I have this and the 25 minute versions programmed in weekly in the next program. I'm really trying to get those HIITs in for two months.

Alright, so tomorrow's goal is 203.3, and I clocked in today at 203.4. Good, I've got this, but I still need to push through.

Bring it!


No comments:

Post a Comment