Monday, April 25, 2016

Sore! But it hurts so good!

Heavy lifting has begun. Yesterday I got started on my first full body heavy weight workout day, and the workout was Total Body Hammer from Hammer & Chisel. This thing is a beast. It's the big big lifts, like chest press, back rows, squats, etc. Each one is done 10 reps, 8 reps, 6, reps, then on to the next part of the three-exercise circuit, then repeat. Sad part, the weights didn't increase. I thought they'd go up each set as the reps came down, like in Body Beast, but not the case. But the rests between sets was pretty much nonexistent, you really just skip two counts where you'd be doing reps. Also, with the low rep counts overall, I upped the weight a lot on all of these, and man, did it hurt.

Total Body Hammer's only flaw? No tricep/bicep work. I knew this going into it, and on days that I have this workout (every other Sunday) I paired it with Bulk Arms from Body Beast. Yup, that did the trick.

Absolutely everything hurts this morning in the best way. Chest and back are both crying for help, triceps feel awesome, biceps are pretty good, shoulders have some ware in them, and my legs.....jeez. This entire journey for 2016, I have not touched legs and weights at the same time. That all completely changed yesterday. I couldn't even finish the sets yesterday, I barely did half of what they were doing, but holy hell do my legs hurt today. I even had to take the elevator into the office because the stairs just weren't happening.

A few more workouts to recap. Saturday was a weird day. I had Bas Rutten scheduled along with P90X Ab Ripper, but only had time in the morning for Ab Ripper. Did it, it was good, but on its own it doesn't feel like a whole workout. I felt sore, but didn't sweat much.

After I ran some errands, I tried to hit play on Bas Rutten, but just couldn't get into this. This is why I workout first thing in the morning - otherwise I lose focus/motivation. I thought MMX from P90X3 might work better, so I hit play on that, but ended up losing steam at the 20 minute mark. Still not wanting to call it quits, I decided to do Core 2 from 22 Minute Hard Corps. That at least got my abs a final punch, and I called it a day.

This morning was Cardio Challenge from Max:30. This is still an awesome workout that kicked my ass. My legs being sore didn't help much and I had to take a few more breaks than usual on the jumping stuff, but overall, good workout.

So, let's talk nutrition and the scale. Saturday was Passover (fat free JEW, remember?) and there were carbs everywhere. Taking the last few weeks into account mentally, I decided to have and enjoy a cheat day. Matzo balls, chocolate covered matzo, fruit, along with some healthier things like chicken, and even sweet potato latkes (which falls somewhere in the middle) were all had. It was delicious!

Sunday I ate healthy and within diet overall. I did have some matzo ball soup, sans matzo balls, so I think I'm ok from that. And I had three latkes with dinner too.

With all that in mind, I clocked in on the scale this morning at 197.2. Ugh, clearly not the 193.6 I had on Friday, nor the 193.1 goal I had for today, but I knew Friday was a press to get down that far and 193.1 was an absolute stretch. I binged on Saturday, and I'm still under 200, officially, so I feel good. Plus, I had my carb reset, and the last few months I've done that on Saturday, my weightloss isn't linear through the week, it's curved, with better results on Friday than Monday. Anyways, this is my longwinded way of saying I'm ok with this. However, I'm not shooting for .5 down on Wednesday, I'm shooting for 1.2. A nice, round 196.0 is the Wednesday goal, and dammit I think I can do it!

Final note, I've added in a few different supplements for my current program. First off, there's creatine. I'm taking the bare minimum amount, 3g per day. There's a chance this will slow down the weight loss overall since I'll be retaining water, but I'm not too worried about it, and it shouldn't completely kick in for a few weeks. I've also added in a good quality whey protein. I've been taking protein in some form after workouts this whole year, but this will be the first time that I make sure that the protein is quality (aka very low carbs) and I take a full serving (I varied previously depending how I felt) post workout, treating the full scoop as an actual meal.

I've also added in MCT Oil, which is supposed to help regulate the body overall, and increase how well I do while in ketosis, which I'm fairly confident my body is still going into by about EOD Monday or early Tuesday based on a Saturday cheat day.

I just wanted to mention all of these supplements so they're documented.

Ok, that's my story. Final final thought: today is 3 years since I proposed to my amazing wife (she wasn't my wife then, but you get the picture). We've gone through a ton of amazing experiences since then, and I love her so much for saying yes to me on this day 3 years ago. Thanks for being my world baby! I love you and our little girl so much!

Alright, onward and upward (downward on the scale though) toward the future!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment