Thursday, April 21, 2016

One day left - almost final check in for this round

Well, a lot has changed since my last blog post. Namely, me. I may have started the week with high weight numbers, but it looks like my diet reset over the weekend worked. I've been down every day this week, yesterday and today both being extreme low points on the scale.

My goal is still 195.0 for this second round. I clocked in today at 195.8, so, eek, almost there. I'm going to push extra hard today and tomorrow to accomplish this, then it's right back to my normal .5 every two days method.

Some initial thoughts as I wrap up this program. First, this wasn't a well put together program. The extreme back-to-back-to-back cardio at the end of each week is not conducive, and doing Sweat Intervals today, right after doing Max Sweat yesterday, just isn't giving my body time to recover. The Max workouts especially are too taxing to stack like this. Moving forward, no two Max:30 cardio workouts will follow each other back to back.

Second, I definitely wish I'd added more weight. I'm also really glad I decided not to to my original plan for the next program, which had even more cardio and even less weight. Mixed reviews on how weighted work affects weight loss compared to cardio, but the research I'm reading is making it out to be a much more even split than I've been doing. On top of that, weights are what I enjoy most. Enjoyment keeps me motivated. So, I'm super looking forward to starting 3x/week weights next week. Also, the P90X3 weight routines just don't feel like they're cutting it for me anymore, so I'm very excited to add in some Sagi DVDs as well.

Regarding the two recovery weeks, those were pointless. They didn't help me recover, and they really just let me preview DVDs that I've ultimately decided I don't want to use (though there was some debate in my head over adding in Les Mills' Combat's Upper Body Blowout, even though that's ultimately been scrapped at the moment).

Finally, I'm starting to realize that in some aspects, I may have made this current program too easy. Yes, the cardio was super taxing and not in a good way, but the body weight stuff from the Tuesday/Thursdays workouts that I ultimately eliminated served more purpose than I thought. In retrospect, if you count those workouts, I was doing 3x/week weights with my first round, including those two and one P90X3 routine. This round, I downed it to 2x/week, both P90X3. I was reading an article yesterday that the Captain America workout from the movie didn't have any cardio, just circuits of weights at a high intensity. Obviously this was weighted work, not body weight, but it does make a strong case for the benefits of those Tabata workouts. I did not enjoy them at all, so no way are they joining me on a future workout program, but I do want to see in a few months if I can get some sort of circuit-training-style weighted work involved in my future programs.

Alright, that's about where I'm at. One more day, going to see how far I can take the weight down. I have a lunchtime walk and Friday Fight Rd. 2 scheduled between now and the scale tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment