Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Lucky 7 - what the hell was that?!

Today I hit play for the first time on Lucky 7 from Body Beast. I'd read mixed reviews on this one, but considering I needed a full body workout that a) focused on weights, and b) fit in under 30 minutes, I programmed this in as my every-other-Tuesday workout.

My reaction? Well, reaction 1 is THIS IS AWESOME! Reaction 2 is WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST DO? Seriously. I heard we were going to be doing 7 pyramids of 7 reps each, so I figured this would be a walk in the park. That would be the case if the park was filled with ninjas and the floor was made of lava. This thing kicked my ass, and all in 22 minutes!

First off, I did not finish the first set. The pace is just insane, and add in that the first set included legs (which mine are both weak and still jelly from two days ago) and I just couldn't keep up. I made it through six rounds, not seven, so it's a good starting point.

After that first set, I realized I needed to move a little quicker, and generally I got started as soon as the workout was announced. This cut most of my rests in half, but it was the only way to keep up - these guys finished about the same time as me, and in all cases after that first set I started before them.

So, I'm super happy with where this is in the schedule. Everything is still sore from Sunday's workout, but not so sore that today was impossible. I could feel that this would get more realistic to accomplish as the weeks progress. And as far as a workout goes, this is an excellent workout. It's not like anything I've done before, and is hitting the whole body in a really fun and unique way. Plus, more weight lifting - I love it!

Now, perhaps you noticed that I said 22 minutes. I'm trying to keep my workouts at around the 30 minute mark (except on weekends), so I had 8 minutes to fill. That's why I also scheduled in Core 2 from 22 Minute Hard Corps today, which clocks in at 11 minutes. I previewed this one on a whim on Saturday, and I'm proud to say I did (a lot) better today. Still a beast, but it's more manageable than Ab Ripper, so I'll take it.

Alright, I think that's it for me.

But wait, FatFreeJew, what about your weight?

Oh! Thanks for the reminder! As avid readers will know, I placed a goal of 196.0 for myself tomorrow, and I think I'm on track to get there - that's what I clocked in at today. No, this wasn't an official weigh in, so I still need to actually pull it off tomorrow, but so far I'm looking good.

I should note that I'm considering rethinking my every-other-day weigh-in/goal method. It's worked excellent so far, but as I've been seeing over the last few weeks, with my carb cheat days on Saturdays and keto-focus during the week, I'm always off track on Mondays and always way overshooting on Fridays. As of right now, I'm going to keep it the same, but I'm putting some thought into a new plan moving forward. I'll keep you posted.

Special shout out to my wife too. She hit a major milestone in her own health/fitness journey, and I couldn't be more proud of her! I know her schedule's rough and that makes a journey like this difficult, but she's committed and breaking personal records left and right!

Also, special thanks to my daughter for joining me in the gym today. She kept me motivated the whole time, except when she fell asleep during the last two pyramids + all of Core 2, but it was early for her. I'm so pumped that I have a healthy body coming in to set a good example for her. These two ladies are my world and I definitely want to be around on this earth for a long time with them!

Ok, that's my story. I have a good walk planned at lunch (it rained yesterday, so I was stuck inside) and healthy food waiting for me in the kitchen. Plus, sushi tonight, and I'm planning on almost all sashimi (so, all healthy fish and no rice, woop woop!).

Oh, one final note. In the break room this morning, I ran into my boss's boss's boss, and she complemented my work. I can't tell you how awesome that made me feel. Made me super inspired to do even more awesome work! Just wanted to share that victory for the day.

Keep fighting the good fight team. I'm going to go to do some marketing!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment