Thursday, April 28, 2016

Hammer Build Up is awesome!

Ok, I'm only 6 days into my new program, but I have to say that so far I really really love it! There's a perfect mix of weight workouts (YAY!!) and Max:30 cardio. The only one I'm actually not psyched out about is the Bas Rutten workouts on Saturdays, which is a big change since those were some of my favorites a few months ago.

So, today was Hammer Build Up from Hammer and Chisel. I should say that my only fear going into this program was the focus on total body workouts. Not only are my legs absolute garbage when it comes to lifting right now, but thus far, 30-minute upper-body-only workouts from P90X3 haven't really been cutting it for me, and I was concerned that focusing instead on total body for the same 30 minutes (minus weekends) was just going to detract from my goals. But, if any trainer can make your body wish it could die in peace, Sagi is the one to do it!

Like I started the last paragraph, today was Hammer Build Up, another total body workout. No super sets today. Instead, we spent just a few minutes on every single body part. A few minutes for legs, then back, then chest, then shoulders, then biceps, then triceps, then abs, then tears. The tears I might have added myself at the end. Officially, I think we only did about two minutes of actual work on each body part, but that was apparently enough. Yes, my legs are dying right now, but that's normal. What isn't normal is the aching feeling I have in my biceps, triceps and shoulders right now. This is several hours later, and there isn't a doubt in my mind that I got a good weight workout in today. And at a run time of 32 minutes, that's pretty damn good!

So, seriously, if you want to lift weights while watching a DVD about how to lift weights, do so with Sagi! I seriously love this man and his approach to fitness. I can't wait to do this workout again in two weeks.

Well, I'm on my way to tomorrow's goal of 193.0. I clocked in unofficially today at 193.4, which is great! A good walk and a healthy diet for the rest of the day should push me to that edge, and I think at 193.0 tomorrow I'll be at a true weight, not the push-as-hard-as-I-can-to-get-the-scale-down weight I had last week (which I have no regrets about - it was the end of a program and I wanted to max the results on paper. It keeps me motivated).

Tomorrow is Friday Fight Rd. 1, and then Week 1 is in the books!

Oh, final thought about the future. I gave it more thought, and obviously this can and probably will be changed, but I'm going to do an 8-week Body Beast variation, bro split and all. There's a good chance I'll only run it once, not twice or indefinitely like I've been planning, but pure and simple it's what I've wanted to do since the start of the year, and for 8 weeks in the summer (actually 12, but who's counting) I'll have the opportunity to run the program. It's a schedule thing. So right now, this looks like a roughly 90-minute workout on Saturday and Sunday, an hour or so on Monday, and then 30 minutes of isolated body work the other days. More info on that to come. I mention it now because I've been toying around mentally with functional strength and total body work, the latter more-so because of this great first week of my current program. But strength can come in after I work on physique (by strength I mean actual strength work, which is totally different than building big muscles) and honestly I have no clue how my total body stuff is really going to develop my body, and even after 8 weeks of my current program I won't know how it does compared to the bro split until I've done both. So my August program might have a lot more diversity in it, but not so much for my summer program. This also might mean not a lot of cardio in the summer, but that's ok. For 8 weeks I can balance with diet, and this will help me determine how much cardio is really impacting my weight loss overall.

That's a long-winded paragraph that most of you didn't really understand. That's ok. This blog is also here to help me keep track of things, so for those who merely skimmed, let's just assume that last paragraph was for me more so than you.

Final note, I also upped my MCT oil intake to 3 pills starting today. This is the max amount I'm going to take (even though the bottle says 9....ya, f that noise, that's definitely too much). So, I'll let you know if I notice anything different. So far, so good.

Alright friends, keep fighting the good fight.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment