Monday, February 1, 2016

Max Out Cardio: What the F&$# was that?!

Month 2 is in full swing, and today I hit play on Max Out Cardio for the first time. And as the title says, what the actual F&^$ was that?! More to come on that in a moment....

First off, yesterday, Sunday, I had my first go at Bas Rutten's All Around Fighting (AKA MMA) workout. I've done this one before, but only a round or two, because frankly, it's brutal. But a round or two isn't my goal anymore, so I did the whole thing. Or, at least, I did what I could.

Bas's MMA workout is exactly like the Muay Thai workout. He calls out punch combos, and you throw them, ending each one with a kick or a knee. Two-minute rounds, one-minute rests, 10 rounds total. The difference? In addition to the punch/kick combos, he also shouts "Defense!", and like an MMA fight, you simulate defending a ground takedown. How do you do that? A burpee! Now, going into this, I figured he'd say Defense once, maybe twice per round. Nope, I'm guessing an average of 10 Defenses per round, and a lot of the time he says them over and over, no punch combos in between. I thought I was going to die, so many burpees in just the first round! It's like this the entire workout! And to add to it, he also has you "stay down" on one Defense per round, and from there you do a few twists of left and right (he tells you which way to go) to again simulate ground work.

So how did I do? Well, first off, I didn't die. That's always a positive. But, I didn't do amazing either. I held my own, never stopped, but toward the end of each round I was losing steam. I missed a few burpees, and when it came to the right/left stuff on the ground I'd usually get one or two in before literally collapsing.

Hey, new workout, so there's room for improvement. I'm actually pretty pleased with my results, but purely because it was my first time. Doing it again, I'll expect more from myself, and I plan to deliver. My current schedule's a little dumb and I will only see this workout one more time this month, and it's not for two weeks, but the program I have lined up for March/April has it a lot more and I'm looking forward to getting really good at this one.

Which brings us to today's workout. Max Out Cardio. This was the sequel to Cardio Challenge, and this was definitely one of those sequels that blew the first one out of the water. It was a lot like Cardio Challenge in the sense that there's three moves, you do them for 30-seconds each, then repeat the circuit three times. The new addition, there's also now an added move at the end of each circuit that you do for an additional minute, and in each circuit that was a lot harder of a move.

So what was the real challenge? The moves themselves. I Cardio Challenge, there was never a point where I didn't know what we were doing. Some variation on jumping jacks? Cool, I've got it. Jump high into the air and bring your knees to the chest? Sounds tough, but I'm on it. But today!? Around the 6 minute mark I remember a move where I had only one foot on the ground, my other leg sticking behind me, both arms straight in front of me, and I'm proceeding to jump back and forth on the standing food while simultaneously bringing the extended limbs in and out. If you don't understand that description, it's cool; neither do I. There were multiple times in this workout where I said outloud the glorious title of this blog post (don't worry, the baby was asleep).

But being-confused aside, I did this one and I think I did great. Like yesterday, I did great considering it's a new workout. This video I see three more times, once per week in my current program, and I plan to get WAY better at it as time goes on. And holy crap was this an awesome workout! I was soaked by the end, which is great!

Diet and nutrition wise, this weekend was pretty good. Sushi burritos again for dinner on Friday, and we had pizza Saturday and Sunday. "How is that good" you might be asking. It all comes down to moderation. We went to a personal pan pizza place on Saturday, and I loaded mine up with veggies (in addition to all the meats/cheeses I wanted too). I figured more veggies would be better as well. Then I proceeded to eat half, and boxed up the other half. And that's how I had pizza on Sunday too, the leftovers. So, I got to eat pizza twice this weekend. And, knowing I was going to eat pizza for dinner both days, I balanced my diet the rest of each day to give me some flex room. No starving myself, but more fruits/veggies/hummus stuff than sandwiches and full-on meal salads.

The result of that diet/nutrition combo? Today's goal was 223.7, and I clocked in at 223.0! Boom! Still losing after a weekend of mostly pizza! That makes Wednesday's goal 222.5. Let's do it!

Well, that's my story. I'll check in tomorrow after a workout I'm already dreading, Max Out Power. Wish me luck!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment