Friday, February 10, 2012

ESP-XC Day 5: Endurance Legs and more 300

I hit play around 6:30 last night on Legs, the final workout in Week 1 of ESP-XC. On Sunday I made the comment that this was one of the best leg workouts I'd ever done and it was enjoyable. Last night, not so much. It's the same workout, obviously, but being the end of the week my legs were feeling pretty beaten and I really tried to push it, making them hurt even more!

This workout focuses almost entirely on body weight stuff, and there's lots of isometric moves in there. The beginning and end both focus on holding a squat for 1 or 2 minutes (I can't remember how long....felt like a few years personally), and throughout the whole workout there's lots of lunges and single leg squats. I feel like I take it easy on leg day sometimes (it's my least favorite body part to work) and I'm really trying to make that no the case in these workouts. That means that my legs are truly killing me today! Sharp pains from going deep on some moves made me know that I did well, but afterwards hurt like a bitch!

The gang came over right as the DVD was wrapping up. We hit the bag for a few minutes, then stretched, and then got into 300. It was an awesome 300 day! My pullup numbers have gone down, but that's because I'm really focusing on going slow with a full range of motion. These pullups were quality. Deadlifts at 135 were good; I did 3 sets of 10. It's amazing how much energy deadlifts zap from me, even at 135 (I was deadlifting 205 a few weeks ago!).

Floor wipers, body squats (no jumping squats today with the leg workout having just been completed), bench press (32 reps total at 135) and more pullups rounded out the workout. Overall I was very pleased.

So that was yesterday. It doesn't look like I'll be able to workout today. Dinner with the folks and grandparents, so maybe tomorrow I'll hit the gym in the morning. We'll see.

Week 1 of ESP-XC is done! So far I'm liking the program a lot and can't wait to get better at these workouts!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment