Wednesday, February 8, 2012

ESP-XC Day 3: Endurance Core/Balance

Alright, I'm moving forward full steam with ESP-XC and so far I've gotta say that it's awesome!

I had to take care of some stuff when I got home last night, but ended up hitting play about 6:45. Last night's workout was Core/Balance from the Endurance phase. This was a very interesting workout. My balance is pretty decent, always has been. So the balance stuff felt like a really good stretch. The abs section was pretty intense. There were some moves I'd never seen before and the vast majority of the entire workout was on body weight stuff. There were also a few things that were from P90X and other workouts like that, but because this is endurance we did things for a lot longer than I'm used to. Like Supermans. In P90X you do Superman for 10 seconds, then put it down. In ESP-XC you do Superman (attempt is probably a better word) for 2 minutes! Crazy, but that's how you build endurance.

The whole thing ended with 100 situps. I may have a layer of pudge but I can handle some situps. They sucked but I completed all 100 and felt great at the end!

So I know I'm less than a full week into this program but I've gotta say that so far this is one of my favorite workout programs ever. Ken, the trainer, is a real fighter and he comes across as knowing what he's talking about. And the program itself focuses on actually getting better at martial arts (last night's workout he even says that this is for someone who can't afford a trainer but has a fight coming up). I'm not a fighter...just a guy who likes MMA and likes to pretend....but I definitely appreciate the reality of these workouts. And so far they're mostly body weight stuff, which has been really interesting. My upper body feels incredible after Monday's workout, and it's been a while since I've really felt "worked" after a workout.

Tonight is Cardio/Combo. I did this one last week just to try it and I'm really excited to do it tonight. I also might try to do PT24/7 after, or possibly Bas Rutten, but we will see.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment