Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 1 of Stronglifts 5x5

K, P90X ran into a snag. Let's go over the weekend.

New Years Eve was incredible! We had a huge party at the house with lights and colors and a ton of people! It was a blast!

Sunday we slept in late, then slowly cleaned the whole house and rebuilt the gym. The last part took a lot longer than we thought, and after installing the new floor we left it a complete mess and went to bed.

Monday was somehow a work from home day, so we finished cleaning the garage/gym after finishing up my day's work. That's when tired REALLY kicked in from the last few days and P90X just didn't happen. The girlfriend and I got into the gym, made it through the warmup, and Linkthen she looked drained and I didn't want to push her. We decided that starting immediately after New Years was a poor decision and have pushed P90X Lean back one week. We'll start Monday!

Monday night people came over and I'd officially gotten my energy back, so we finally started with the 2 day split of Stronglifts 5x5. This is a different version of Starting Strength that can be done as a 2 day or 3 day split, but we've actually been pulling a little from it for the last few weeks now. Here's how it went down.

We started with squats (as always). Since it'd been 2 weeks since I lifted heavy I went down to 165 again. I did 5x5 (see where the name Stronglifts 5x5 comes in?) and felt really good about them. I'll be adding 10 lbs to the squat on Thursday.

Next was bench and I did 165 again for 5x5. These felt really great and I'll be moving up 5 lbs on Monday. It's good to see my strength didn't leave me after not pushing hard for two weeks.

The new exercise for this program, bent over rows, was an interesting workout. I did 5x5 at 55 lbs. It felt like a low weight, but the great thing about these lifting programs is that even with a low weight, in a few weeks I'll catch up to a weight that'll really work my muscles. That said, I definitely felt 55 lbs and really enjoy this exercise. You're bent over in an "L" shape and using just your arms you raise the bar to your chest. It felt good and when I focused on using my shoulder blades I really felt it in my upper back. Excellent!

This isn't part of the program, but we've decided to add in chinups on Mondays and pullups on Thursdays as homage to the original program (and to have an excuse to keep working pullups). I did 5x5 on the chinups and felt pretty damn good about the form.

So that was Monday, and sorry it's taken me a few days to get back on here. I planned on doing a workout last night but didn't get out of the office until a lot later than normal, and I wanted to spend as much time with my girlfriend as I could (she and I have been running around like mad men lately and I owed her some us time). Today is Wednesday and tonight I have every intention of getting into the gym for an hour when I get home from work.

Tomorrow is Day 2 of Stronglifts. Wish me luck as we bring back shoulder press and deadlift!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment