Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The 300 workout on a Monday?

Yup, the title is correct. The 300 workout was done on a Monday. Well, sort of. Here's what happened.

First off, the last few days got a little screwy. Friday night some stuff ended up coming up that got in the way of working out, then some more stuff got in the way of that stuff. Long story short, Friday's workout didn't happen. The stuff from Friday had me not feeling 100% on Saturday, so 300 didn't happen on Saturday. Sunday I had a few projects I needed to take care of, and that's my rest day anyways, so no workout there either. I know, I'm getting lazy. Heather's arm is still hurting which means she can't work out, and without motivation (ie people to work out with) I lose motivation quickly!

So last night, since P90X is currently on hiatus until everyone's feeling healthy again, I didn't work out until the group came over at 7pm. We hit the gym around 7:30, and instantly got into a conversation about 300. Long story short, with us steering away from strength building somehow we decided to do the 300 workout as our group workout for the night. Not for time, but instead focusing on just completing the whole thing.

There were five of us in the gym, but two modified the program a bit, leaving myself, Caleb and Vince trying to tackle the main workout. Here's how it went down.

I started with 3 sets of 5 pullups. In the full program there's 25 pullups here, but we'll take a minute to get there. Next we did deadlift. I did 2 sets of 15 at 135 lbs. The program calls for 50, but again, I'm working up to it. Next was 2 sets of 15 on bench press with 135 lbs; this one's supposed to be pushups, but it was bench day according to the Starting Strength plans so we kept that in. Next was squat jumps and we did 3 sets of 10. We'd originally planned on doing 5 sets of 10, which is what we have been doing on normal workout days, but after all of the deadlifts we were starting to slow down.

Floor wipers came after all of this madness. I did 1 set of 10 with the ball like I have been doing. Vince then did a set with the bar at 135, which is what you're supposed to do and I've been scared to do without supervision. Fortunately there was supervision today. Caleb did a set of 12, and that compelled me to do a set of 12 too. It was actually a lot easier to do than I thought, after getting the bar up with some help from friends. Then Vince did one more set of 10.

Next came clean and press, and we did those with 30 lbs dumbbells. I did a set of 10 and a set of 5 on the right side and then the same thing on the left.

Finally we finished with some more pullups. I did 2 sets of 5 and called it good.

Over all it was a great workout. It took us about an hour, we did fewer reps than the program calls for and we took lots of breaks. That said, we all felt exhausted at the end and it was a great workout! Expect us to be doing it again on Thursday.

So that was last night. Tonight I've gotta do some work so I won't be able to work out (this is becoming a theme) but I'm looking to straighten a few things out in my schedule in the next few weeks so I should be back into P90X and a regular schedule ASAP.

That's all I've got for today. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment