Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Off the schedule and feeling good

So this week I've been completely off of a schedule and I actually feel really great about it! A few weeks ago when I was just picking a workout every day I didn't feel like I was doing any good, but this week I've done exactly that and it's been working out. I'm still focusing a lot on cardio, and whenever possible I'm pulling out the martial arts workouts, and I actually feel excellent and plan on moving forward with something like this. I'll talk about that in a minute.

Yesterday I got home from the office and hit play on the Bas Rutten All Around Workout. I've never done this one, and when I heard it was only 30 minutes I was actually worried that I wasn't going to like it much. Turns out, this is one of the best workouts I've had in a while. For 30 minutes Bas just shouts out things to do, like 30 seconds to 2 minutes of shadowboxing using the combos he calls out (similar to the other Bas Rutten CDs), then 30 seconds of pushups, then abs, then bicep curls, then jump squats, etc. He just calls out random stuff and for 30 minutes I worked my ass off! There's no breaks even though I had to take some, but this is a workout I'd really like to get better at and keep using. It's only 30 minutes, but with a stretch and a bit of a warmup I got it to 40 minutes and I was completely drenched. There's a slightly longer workout on the same disc, so I'll probably try that one out in a few days or weeks.

This morning I woke up and had no desire to do yoga, mostly because I wanted to sleep in a bit. I decided to do Relief from the Asylum, and 30 minutes of stretching felt really good this morning. I would have liked to workout in the evening instead, but tonight is dinner with the folks and grandparents and girlfriend and working out probably won't be able to happen.

So regarding the schedule, as sad as I am to say it I think Rushfit is not going to be able to happen. I really really want to do this program, but I have been doing doubles for the last three months and my body just doesn't feel like it can take it anymore. I'm doing Starting Strength starting this coming Monday, and I don't want to put doubles workouts on top of that.

That said, Starting Strength is 3 days a week, and the other 3 days (Saturdays are still my off day) I plan on doing cardio. On those days I plan on using some of the Rushfit workouts, the Bas Rutten CD's, Insanity, Asylum, and possibly a few other DVDs I've been looking at like Aerobox (look it up). I actually own a lot of martial arts DVDs that run a lot like a martial arts class. Not so much on technique, but the workouts feel like a workout day from when I was a kid doing kenpo. Since Starting Strength is used by MMA fighters, I'll essentially be following a dumbed down (only an hour a day) MMA training schedule; three days of muscle building and three days of cardio/technique. My technique will be garbage of course as I'm not learning from a real instructor, but from a physical fitness standpoint I'm excited!

Two more quick notes. First off, I'm not losing weight. That's entirely from my diet. This is one of the reasons I'm cutting back on the doubles. The doubles was meant to blast my body with cardio, but it's not cardio that's holding me back. I'm going to make sure my body is healthy and I'll work on the diet, but exercise wise I'm doing all I can and I'm very happy with that.

Second, the other motivation behind this whole thing is that I'm sick of working out in the morning. I don't ever get as good of a workout, I feel exhausted all day and I usually feel like I should make up bad workouts and workout at night anyways. I work out much better after work, so this schedule will give me sleep again and get me doing better workouts more often. The occasional morning workout is ok when it has to happen, but for a while there I was doing a morning workout every morning. Ya, I'm done with that. Plus when I workout at night I have all day to think of what workout I want to do that night and get excited about it, just like when I was working out without DVDs a year ago and just like yesterday when I decided to do the Bas workout around noon.

So that's the update. I'll still be doing this blog as the weeks continue, probably posting my lifting numbers occasionally too. That said, expect to see more of these kinds of posts that combine a few workouts into one. I keep forgetting to write the blog after workouts as I'm usually starving or tired, but as long as all of the workouts get noted on this blog at some point in the week I'm good.

That's all I've got for the day. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment