Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Starting Strength Week 2 started last night

Last night after work I came home, relaxed for half an hour, and then Anthony, Mark and I headed into the gym. We did the usual ten minute warmup/stretch, and went right into squats.

All of us squat the same so we were at 115 lbs. I have never squated that much, and a week ago I was struggling at 85. With that in mind, these were awesome! They were my best squats ever (form's getting a lot better), and that's the most I've ever squatted in my life. 115 may not sound like a whole lot, but for a personal best I'm happy. 125 is tomorrow, and I can't wait. Every time the weight feels just about the same as it did the last time, since I'm really not noticing the ten pound jumps.

After that we got into shoulder press. I was scheduled to do 105 lbs, and I definitely did it! I like this exercise a lot, but holding yourself steady while balancing the weight above your head is definitely not easy. Also at the shrug at the very top, it's hard sometimes to keep my feet planted on the ground. But I rocked out three sets, and I'm ready for 115 on Friday!

Finally we did chinups. First off, in 3 sets Anthony did 4 chinups! That's freakin' amazing! Last week he couldn't lift his body to the bar at all, so he blew that out of the water. I told him to do chinups and pullups on the total gym for a few weeks like I did with P90X, but I'm really thinking he's not going to need the total gym much longer.

On that note, I did a personal best too! I rocked out 2 sets of 6 chinups and 1 set of 4. I have never done more than 5 in a single set ever, and I got to 5 and realized I had one more in me. And then I did it again! The third set I was pretty drained, but even 4 was pretty great! I'm supposed to add weight after I can get 15 of them in a set. I thought that was never going to happen, but considering the strength gains I've got just in the last week, this could be sooner than I think.

Today I'm not going to work out since I'm helping my girlfriend move tonight, but I'll get up early to do cardio tomorrow and tomorrow night is Starting Strength, so I'm still on a good path.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment