Monday, July 11, 2011

Starting Strength begins tonight!

First off, wow, I haven't checked in since Wednesday. I'm starting to let the blog slide, and that's not good. However, tonight starts Starting Strength, so starting tonight I should have a whole new program to write about. More on that in a second....

The last post I talked about Wednesday's workout. On Thursday I did a workout too - the second of the two Bas Rutten All Around Workouts. I have to say, I was pretty disappointed with this one. The first one is thirty minutes of Bas shouting out random combos of punches, pushups, abs, etc. This one is thirty minutes, but it's the same 3 minutes repeated 10 times in a row. One minute of just kicks (no punching, which is not nearly as fun), then 30 seconds of pushups, 30 seconds of abs, 30 seconds of biceps and 30 seconds of jump squats. I kept up for 6 rounds, but then I said screw it. Aside from being tired from this brutal workout, I was extremely bored! Looking forward to rep 10 just so I can be done is not a good motivator. I ended up hitting stop, then did 2 or 3 rounds of the Muay Thai workout. I was beat, but mostly I turned of this workout because I was bored.

Friday and Saturday I was supposed to drive to Denver for the weekend, but weather (and me not liking to drive in weather) kept me from going. I wasn't going to workout those days, so even though I was at the house I kept my laziness in gear and took a nice break.

Sunday my roommate decided to do Yoga from P90X One on One MC2, and I joined him. I love this yoga workout and held my own. I felt great by the end and forgot how much I miss yoga.

So tonight starts Starting Strength. I guess officially it started yesterday. It's 3 days of weights and 3 days of cardio per week. Yesterday was the cardio, so tonight starts the weights. Big weights. Only 15 total reps (3x5) of each muscle group. So 3 sets of 5 on the bench press, and then I'm done with chest.

Tonight's agenda is 3x5 squats, 3x5 bench press and 3x Too Failure of pullups. Before each of those sets will be a few sets of figuring out my starting weight. That only happens tonight, and next time I do each of these lifts I increase the weight by 5 lbs. Plus a 10 minute warmup (something from P90X) and 15 minutes of abs (Ab Ripper X). It's me, my roommate and my friend Anthony. I'm looking forward to it.

It all starts tonight! Wish us luck. I'll try to post tonight, but somewhere in the next day for sure I'll get a blog post up on my starting weight numbers and what I thought of the program. I am currently dreading squats, but it's only 15 reps. That can't be that bad, right?

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment