Friday, July 15, 2011

Starting Strength - End of Week 1

I've decided I miss being on a set in stone program, for no other reason than I have to come up with clever titles for each of my blog posts.

Starting Strength's first week is complete! Today was awesome too, because for the first time we had all of our starting weights ready to go. It makes the workout go by a lot faster, and it's way more intense. Every day so far I've worked my way up to my max weight, and once I've found it I just have to do that same final weight two more times. As of today, every single weight that I pushed was the heaviest I've ever lifted on that exercise. Granted, it was only squats and bench and pullups today, but I've never been good at squats and today I did 3 sets of 5 at 105 lbs, and I benched 165 lbs! I'm going to be able to bench my body weight in two weeks! Everything was hard, but nothing felt impossible. I feel like for the next few weeks this will be how I feel on everything, and I'm going to be lifting some very heavy weights very soon!

I did notice a few things about my form. Squats I need to hold at the bottom for a moment, and that helps me get low. On both squats and bench I need to breathe the entire time, rather than holding my breath and breathing at the last moment. Oh, and pullups went very well tonight. I did two sets of 5 and one set of 3. I need to be able to get just a bit more over the bar on the last one or two, but that's my personal bests on pullups! Freakin' awesome!

K, that's all I've got. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment