Monday, March 26, 2012

Feeling better and the start of the Transformation Super Challenge

Alright, it's Monday morning. I've officially been hurt, or sore, or sick, for 2 weeks and 1 day now. That's about 2 weeks longer than I'm willing to accept, and this morning I finally said "screw it" to whatever my body's been upset about. Working out is medicine for the body, and with less than 10 weeks to Summer I'm going to give it all the medicine it can take!

I've been wanting to start the Transformation Super Challenge that I found online a few weeks ago. It's a 10 week program, but in a break from my normal routines it is not a DVD program. In fact, it's actually a gym program, written out the same way that I like my DVD programs; each rep, the time in between and all of the exercises is spelled out for me. Perfect! It takes the thought out of the workouts. But the best part? It encourages 3 additional workouts per day! Why's that important? Since I finished my first round of P90X over a year ago I've been doing some form of doubles any time I try to work out, and I've been thinking that that's hindering whatever benefits I'm supposed to gain from that program. Not a lot, of course, but the additional work is taxing my muscles, making me tired for future workouts. This program, on the other hand, is designed to include these extra fun workouts, and while 3 additional a day seems extreme I am taking a lot of comfort in knowing that I'm meant to do more work on top of this program.

With all of that in mind, I got into the gym around 6:45 this morning. Today, day 1, is legs day, consisting of lunges, squats, Romanian dead lifts and calf raises. Since the program's a little bit propitiatory (I had to check a box saying I wouldn't share the e-book) I'm going to leave the rep counts out, but I will say that this program has you doing 5 sets, going from a high amount of reps in the first set to a low amount in the second to last set, followed by as many as possible on the last set again. The weights go up with each set except for the last one, which uses your first weight. I started with lunges, and got through the first 3 sets. Unfortunately, this is where I took a dive. I've been sick/sore for a while now, and the last few days my lower back's been killing me more than anything (aside from the possible gallstones, which still suck too). That, and I really haven't touched my legs in the gym for 3 or 4 weeks. So after that third set I really felt myself hit a wall. In the program there's a note that if you don't have weights to do body weights for a high number of reps. So I finished my as many as possible set on lunges, which was kind of pathetic, and then did body weight stuff for the rest of the exercises. The calf raises I used weight, but not a lot. I figure I'm doing this program to get back into health (not just shape) so easing into it didn't bother me too much.

Despite the lackadaisical workout my legs do feel pretty great right now. I'm thinking next week or the week after I should be able to actually keep up with the pace of the legs day.

So that's it, the beginning of the Transformation Super Challenge! It wasn't my best workout and I wish I could have powered through it a little stronger, but I've got a wedding to go to in 10 weeks (the length of this program) and the weekend after that is a big outdoor music festival that I want to look awesome for, so it was start now or probably not make it in time.

Well, time to start getting ready for work. Tonight I'll see how I'm feeling and might do a 30 minute workout before the group gets here, to count for one of my 3 additional workouts.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment