Thursday, June 9, 2016

Weight loss and a sore shoulder

It's Thursday, and Week 7 is almost over. So what's been happening since we last spoke? I'm glad you asked!

First, there have been workouts. Tuesday I decided to get some chores done around the house and work on some freelance work a bit, and next thing I knew I no longer had time to do a full 30 minute Bas Rutten workout. I opted instead for the 20 minute Fast & Furious workout from Insanity. As are most things in the world of Shaun T, this workout is aptly named. 20 minutes may not be a long time, but I was tired by the end like you wouldn't believe! Pretty great way to start the day.

Tuesday was a weird schedule day, and I came home from the office earlier than normal. With a little energy, a little frustration that my morning workout wasn't a full 30 minutes, and since I hadn't gone for a walk, I decided to hit play on Core Cardio and Balance from Insanity. This is the recovery week workout, but make no mistake, it's not easy. I chose it because I wanted a little more cardio (which it has), some ab work since I didn't hit them the day before (which it also has) and some stretching because I'm starting to feel sore (which is also has, again). I was dodging a crawling baby during most of it, and during most of the ab work I was convincing said baby that she didn't really want to eat various computer cables, but aside from those hurdles it was overall a very good workout.

Wednesday morning I got back into Max:30. Yesterday's workout was Max Out Sweat. I stand by my statement that this is the best workout in the program, and yesterday did not disappoint. I felt really good going into it and even better coming out. Solid A level work. Very happy.

I got a semi ok walk in at lunch. Had to cut it short because of a webinar, but hey, all good.

And finally, today was just under an hour of lifting weights full body. Man, do I love lifting weights. It's so awesome. I wish I could lift this heavy every day, but it's just not how the body works (and I still need the cardio while I shed these last 15 pounds). So today I went into the workout a little worried about my left shoulder. It's been sore for two days, and rule #1 with lifting is that you don't work something if it's sore. Fortunately, I woke up this morning and it didn't hurt! That was a great thing to discover. Shoulders are my favorite muscle group to work, and I was so happy I got to hit them. Also of note, legs: I'm starting to think I need to do more with my legs. I do as many sets on legs as I do every other body part, mainly focusing on quads (but sometimes hamstrings, glutes and calves too), and I'm starting to think that's not enough. Legs are just such a big muscle group, they really should get more work in. I'm going to consider doing more. My hesitation? The work I am doing is killing me already! Even with a 40 lb dumbbell, sumo squats are wreaking havoc on my legs. The thought of doing more, more weight, more sets, etc., is daunting as hell! So, it's something I'm going to consider, but no decisions for a bit.

Alright team, let's talk weight! When we last touched base, I clocked in at 187.8, making Wednesday's goal 187.3. Well, I guess something I did on Monday or Tuesday morning worked, because I clocked in on Tuesday at 185.8. WOO! Unfortunately, Tuesdays aren't official weigh in days, but hey, it was awesome to see. I kept the diet clean Tuesday, had the aforementioned Wednesday sweaty workout, and clocked in yesterday, officially, at 186.0. Boom! Ya, it went up .2 in a day, but that's nothing to worry about. And I overshot the goal by a huge amount. 186.0, that makes Friday's goal 185.5.

So today is another unofficial day, and I'm on my way to Friday. I kept the diet super clean yesterday, even resisting what arguably looked like the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever seen (they showed up at my office thanks to a new, local restaurant, and seriously, these things are chocolate, chocolate chip, with rock salt sprinkled on top, and there were probably 4 dozen sitting in the break room, and they're huge!) and was super proud of myself for that. Anyways, I ate clean yesterday, I hit it hard in the weight room today, and I stepped on the scale to see....

184.2!!!!

WOW! I can't believe it went down that much. Yes, there's a million things that go into the number on the scale, and that's a huge drop in a day, but WOW!! So stoked. Again, sadly, not an official weigh in, but I feel good about crushing tomorrow's goal considering today's weigh in.

So, yup, feeling good right now. Just finished up a healthy breakfast of cottage cheese and hemp seeds, and I have healthy meals galore lined up for the rest of the day.

Final thoughts before I sign out. First, congrats to the amazing wife as well. She's been really strict on her diet and the scale is dropping every day. It's obvious she's working so hard on this and I'm so proud of what she's accomplished with that hard work! Second, probably no walk for me today, got another webinar I need to get ready for. Third and final, I'm also gearing up for next week. I'm out of town for a conference, and since it's Week 8 I need to make sure I'm staying clean and healthy all week. So, should be interesting. I'm planning on a lot of extra workouts in the room and in the hotel gym to get me there, and I also might take my final photos for this round next Saturday instead, when I'm home. Same thing with my final official weigh in, since I'm sure my hotel room won't have a scale.

Crap, that just made me realize I don't have an official plan for the next round yet. I might just repeat my current plan one more time, it's a good mix of things.

Ok, enough blogging for the day. Onward my friends!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment