Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Good updates, minus me still hating scales

Alright, lots of good updates, and some negative (or not so negative number wise) scale updates.

First off, I cheated a little on Friday. Ok, I cheated a lot. There was cake. I figured I'd cheat Friday night and keep it clean the rest of the weekend.

Woke up Saturday feeling good. I finished programming my total body lifting workout in PowerPoint, and hit play. And once again, I absolutely loved it! Finished up in just under an hour and a half, hit every body part several times, and lifted heavy. It was great! Quick exercise of note: there's a stiff leg split leg deadlift exercise from Build Legs that was in there. I remember thinking the first time I ever did this exercise "what the heck does this work?" and then coming away feeling absolutely terrible (in a good way). And I had the exact same reaction this time. "What a dumb exercise" immediately followed by "Oh GOD!!! My hamstrings!!!" As I write this three days later, I'm still feeling it!

Sunday was the real start of my revised Max:30 schedule, and Max Out Cardio was on the menu. My legs were still feeling it from the day before, and overall I didn't have the world's best workout. It wasn't terrible, but maybe C+ B- region. Eventually my legs will get used to doing this kind of cardio the day after a heavy lifting session, so I'm not too worried. I'll get there. I will say, those Month 2 workouts never cease to amaze me. They're killer!

Monday I was right back at it lifting heavy. This was my first Monday big lifting day, the first of the 16 week block I'm on. And lift heavy I did! Everything got worked, and I had a major pump in my arms when it was all done. I got to take the wife and daughter out for the day (baby doctor appointment, lunch, mommy group, exciting stuff all around) and I actually felt good wearing a shirt that was tight in the arms. The pump faded over the day and by the time night came I didn't feel as great in the shirt, but hey, progress.

And finally this morning, Tuesdays are a weird day now, so I decided to try out Bas Rutten again. I started off easy, with the 2 minute Kickboxing routine. Actually, I was surprised how well it went. Kicks were tricky with the hamstrings still achy, but I actually think the kicks helped me loosen them up by the end. As for cardio/endurance, I think I retained a lot from past sessions. It's been about a month since I did one of these, and I held my own through the whole thing. I'll see about upping it in a few weeks, adding in either the 3 minute rounds or moving on to MMA (read that: burpees). But for the moment, ya, just focusing on this.

Now, I should say, the last few days I have not hit my step goals. Like, not even close. So I'm a little ashamed about that, but hey, you've gotta be able to take it easy, right? Actually, the family and I were on the go all weekend, but still, not enough steps. Sigh. Gonna focus on a great walk today!

So let's talk diet/weight loss. After Friday, diet was actually relatively clean. I ate a few carbs, mostly ones that snuck in. I ate corn two days in a row, out to dinner with the wife on Saturday (date night, woo!!!) and Sunday at a small house bbq with some friends. Corn's delicious and a plant, I hate that it's so high in carbs! Monday I ate a salad at Macaroni Grill. That was overall healthy, keto healthy at least (there was a lot of ranch dressing on it), but the chicken was breaded. Not sure why I didn't think to ask for it grilled. Next time.

Anyways, other than that, diet was clean. Really really clean. Now, after my carb load on Friday night, I skipped the scale Saturday. Clocked in Sunday at 189.8, so I'd gone back up (way up) from 187.8 on Friday. Then yesterday, Monday, I hit the scale and saw 189.0. Ok, good, moving in the right direction. Well, I guess that breaded chicken at lunch yesterday (and a later than usual dinner last night thanks to a late volunteer meeting) caught up to me, because today I clocked in at 190.0. Yup, I went up that much. No 180s for me today, hence why I still hate scales.

Yes, I assume a chunk of that is new muscle, but there's still so much fat to lose. And I expect my ideal weight, even with muscle, should be in the 170-175 range, so even building muscle I want to see scale loss. Just gotta keep plugging away at it. I'll get there.

I have a healthy day lined up thanks to meal prep (I seriously love the meal prep process) so let's see where I can get this week. My personal goal for the week is 186.5 for Friday. Why that number? Because 186 seemed too extreme and 187 seemed like not enough. So, there you go. I'm writing it down now!

Alright, that's all I have for the day. Quick final shout out to my wife, who is trying out a new gym today. I'm so proud of her for joining me on this journey. I love you Mrs. Fat Free Jew!!!

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment