Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Back, bicepss and broken ankles

First, that title is misleading - I sprained my ankle, but "sprained" loses the alteration. I slipped coming out of a bathroom yesterday, and landed on my bad ankle (I broke it years ago, it didn't heal right). So now I have a limp for a few days.

Despite that development, today was back and biceps day, and I made it happen! I abbreviated the workout a bit. This workout is already longer than most in the Body Beast series, I'm not entirely sure why, but I remember it being the closest to an hour, and I only have 30 minutes. But I also had to take out any of the standing exercises, which eliminated pullups (not that I can do them yet anyways) and a few others. I ended up going through about 75% of the entire workout, mixing and matching some of the exercises to still achieve super sets and giant sets.

Back in general is not my favorite muscle group. I'd place it somewhere slightly above legs on the awesome scale, which means it's pretty far down. Biceps are a different story, but you've gotta get the big muscle group out of the way first.

I put up some decent numbers on rows/single arm rows, and I actually do enjoy overheard pulldowns. These were by no means amazing Herculean weights, but they were a good starting point. I'm looking to build on them more next week.

By the time biceps were up, I had finished an entire TED Talk and was really in need of hurrying. I opted to do the seated bicep curls and the 1,1,2 hammers (also seated, because of ankle) as a super set. This meant lowering weights a bit, but not by much, and in the end I think the biceps got a decent workout as well. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) will determine whether or not that's the case, so I'll try to remember to report in on that in a day or two.

Speaking of DOMS, my chest and tris are finally killing me. That means I had a great workout, but taking two days to get here means I spent a full day wondering if I worked hard enough. My legs hurt from yesterday, but not nearly as much as I thought (ankle aside). This means I'm both worried I didn't work hard enough yesterday, and worried I'm going to be in agony tomorrow. We will see.

Time for work. Tomorrow is shoulders, my absolute favorite muscles! Let's see how things go as I continue to press into week 1.

Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment